Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Room Place - Deceptive Sales Practice

Beware of the The Room Place -

My wife wanted a new set of chairs for our dinning room. So off we went to one furniture store after another. I also look on line. So after who know how many stores she saw what she wanted at "The Room Place."

So we told the sales lady we wanted to buy 10 of these chairs. Now 10 chairs in a furniture store is not a small order. She started to write up an invoice and then told me there would be a delivery charge. I stated I would pick up the chairs, I was then informed there is a pick up charge.

Nowhere is it posted that the price of the chairs was not the final price and that hidden charges were applied after the selection and sale. After the sale they present a note for you to read about these charges.

I refused to pay any pick up charge and a store manager did remove this charge in view of the large dollar amount. But how many people do not protest and are hit by this deceptive and hidden charge.

When I went to pick up the chairs – I was presented with chairs that were not assembled. If I had wanted to buy chairs that were not assembled I would have gone to IKEA. Again no one told me the chairs were not assembled. I refused delivery as I had purchased assembled chairs. One again I told the store manager he had a choice refund my money or deliver what I ordered. Ten chairs that looked exactly like the ones in the showroom, fully assembled.  Upon coming home I e-mailed Customer Service about the service and the deceptive sales practice at their company headquarters in Chicago.

They responded with an offer to deliver fully assembled chairs. I accepted. But how many Hoosiers would be fooled by this company? How many of you would stop and say no or just accept this clear effort to get more money out of the customer?

I believe this company is clearly in violation of the Indiana Deceptive Consumer Sales Act and filed a complaint with the State Attorney General's Office. 

And to my surprise the AG responded:
"A Deputy Attorney General has reviewed your complaint and determined it may be resolved through mediation. I am responsible for attempting to mediate a reasonable resolution to your complaint." It will be interesting to see what is the outcome. 

If you paid this fee and picked up your furniture I would suggest you write the AG and you may get that money back. After all it appears to be in violation of Indiana law.

If you get hit by a hidden fee at any store of any kind, write the AG. We all need to stop this kind of practices by companies such as the The Room Place. In the mean time if you go to shop at this store remember do not accept pick up fees and make sure your furniture if you pick it up is assembled just like the one you purchased in the store.

No comments: