Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Danger – Car Wash Ahead.

On May 20, 2008, Bob Segall of WTHR, Channel 13, Indianapolis broadcast a program on the use of hydrofluoric acid as a cleaning agent by car washes. One of the users is Mike’s Express and now a warning I got before I moved to Indiana is making sense. In Dayton, Oh a friend who owns a car wash told me never to use Mikes because of the cleaning formula they use, he said it makes a car look clean but is very dangerous. It will with long term use dull your paint and fog your glass. If mixed wrong it will do it even faster. I took his advise and don’t go to Mikes, in fact I prefer not to go to any car wash, but if I have too, after a lot of winter salt, I found this nice small car wash in Noblesville.

I also have to wonder what happens to the wastewater at Mikes and other car washes, so are we letting this nasty stuff go down the drain? I guess so. What if an employee gets the mix wrong and this stuff eats you and your car. To nasty I believe to be used in an everyday setting. Now Mikes claims that take a lot of care in the handling of this acid and being a large business I believe they can, but what about a small owner of maybe one or two car washes. Will they be able to take the same amount of care in handling of this highly toxic material?

What was very interesting was a comment by Steve Peterson a large supplier of cleaning agents that they do not carry car washing detergents that contain hydrofluoric acid. So its not like saying we don't have a choice. We do.

We should ban the use of hydrofluoric acid in products such as detergents or where the product can enter the wastewater systems.

My name is Joe Weingarten and I am running for State Representative in the 29th District and I approve this message.

No comments: